Thursday 22 April 2021

Several rules of thumb

There are a couple of terms that are going to be important in some upcoming posts about photographing insects and other invertebrates: equivalent f-number and effective f-number. This can get very complicated, especially equivalence, but I'm just going to use a couple of rules of thumb relevant to the particular options I'm considering.

_________________________

I am considering setups involving cameras with three sensor sizes: 

  • 1/2.3", around the size of sensor used by many smartphone cameras
  • micro four thirds
  • full frame
For insects etc I use f/8 (minimum aperture) almost all the time with my 1/2.3" sensor cameras. In order to get around the same depth of field with a micro four thirds setup I have to use f/22, and with a full frame camera I have to use f/45. These are the equivalent f-numbers that matter most to me. 
_________________________

Effective f-number needs a bit more explanation. (This explanation does not apply to Nikon kit, but I don't use any Nikon kit.)

When you photograph a small scene using a macro lens, extension tubes and/or a reversed lens or bellows, the f-number you are actually using (known as the "effective f-number") is smaller than the one you set on the camera (known as the "nominal f-number"). 

The effective f-number can be calculated using the following formula. (This formula is an approximation, but it works pretty well in my experience).

    effective f-number = nominal f-number * ( 1 + magnification )

So for example if I set the camera/lens to f/11 and I shoot at 1:2 (so the magnification is 1/2), the effective f-number is 

    f/ (11 * ( 1 + 0.5) ), which is around f/16.

If I set the camera/lens to f/32 and shoot at 3:1, the effective f-number is

    f/ ( 32 * ( 1 + 3 ) ), which is around f/128  

When it comes to depth of field, it is the effective f-number that matters.

I often use setups which have a close-up lens mounted on a telezoom lens. These include the zoom lens on a bridge camera and a 45-175mm lens on micro four thirds. 

The above calculations do not apply when using close-up lenses on telezoom lenses. In that case the effective f-number remains unchanged, irrespective of the magnification.

_________________________

In the upcoming posts about invertebrates I will be comparing close-up lens kit on bridge and micro four thirds cameras with macro lens kit on full frame. There is a nice simplification for these comparisons:

  • For the close-up lens setups I only need to consider equivalent f-numbers, because the effective f-numbers don't change with magnification.
  • For the full frame macro setups I only need to consider effective f-numbers. This is because I will be using full frame equivalent in the comparisons, so the full frame options don't need any equivalence adjustment.

_________________________

Here are a couple of other rules of thumb that I'll be using.

  • Depth of field roughly doubles with each two stops reduction in aperture.


  • ISO 100 with my bridge cameras has roughly the same amount of noise as ISO 800 with my micro four thirds cameras and ISO 3200 with my full frame camera. 


No comments:

Post a Comment