Monday 17 May 2021

A more substantial test of the A7sii

 Yesterday I spent two hours in the Church grounds opposite our house testing the A7sii. For the first time this year there were plenty of subjects around. Mind you, I wouldn't necessarily have thought that if I had been using one of my close-up lens setups, because a lot of the subjects were rather small compared to what I found comfortable to deal with using my close-up lens setups.

The session convinced me that I had not been my imagination - I really did seem to be getting stronger focus peaking signals, and easier focusing because of it, including a good degree of success with subjects that were moving around, two of which were rather small and moving a lot.

The post processing was unproblematic. I have a feeling that the raw files may be a bit more malleable than with the A7ii. Looking at the outputs I also get the impression that the A7sii may be picking up more from dark areas that are far from the flash. I did not raise shadows for any of the images beyond what is done by my presets. Nonetheless, I'm not seeing the deep black areas that I dislike.

I captured 529 shots in the session. The 93 that kept (over 17%) are in this album at Flickr. Here are several images from the session.

I don't have much experience yet with the A7sii, so perhaps there are problems I haven't registered yet, but as it stands I expect the A7sii to take the place of the A7ii as my camera of choice for invertebrates.

 













No comments:

Post a Comment